Fragment of the Podgorze ghetto wall with memorial plaque
In September 1939 German troops entered Krakow. Jews were forced to identify themselves by wearing armbands bearing the Star of David. In March 1941 all 64,000 of Krakow's Jews (one-quarter of the city's population) were forcibly rehoused in 320 buildings in the Podgorze district. By March, 1943, the entire populatio of the ghetto had been liquidated - either being killed or transported to the death camps.