previous next
index

image
Fukier Restaurant

Fukier's House is named after its owners -the Polish branch of the powerful family of German bankers Fuggers (Fukier is the Polonization of the German name). Even German Emperors were in debt to them.

The Polish Fukiers bought the tenement in 1810. By that time the building has been altered from the late Medieval style into Neo-Classical. During World War II most of the building was destroyed. Those parts that survived -the 15th century cellars and the ground floor- are presently occupied by one of the most stylish of Warsaw's restaurants, Fukier.
previous next
index